The art of quilting can be embraced by anyone who is fascinated by it, but it does take some knowledge and exercise to actually perform a very good job. Today’s quilting machines are impressively advanced and can save beginner quilters a lot of hassle. Even so, complete beginners should choose the best machine for their needs, skills and experience before jumping into buying an expensive, complicated device.
This article is meant to help quilting enthusiasts understand what they should be looking for when choosing the best sewing machine for quilting.
- First of all, acknowledge your experience and skills. If you have never quilted before, you should go for a simple, less complicated sewing machine. The more difficult a quilting machine is to operate, the harder will be for you to learn. The complexity of the sewing machine is basically the first thing you should be thinking about.
- Observe the difference between a regular sewing machine and a sewing machine for quilting. Check out the specifications of each model and make sure that the one you choose is suitable for quilting. Otherwise, you will not be able to carry out your projects.
- Look around your home or workspace and see how much space do you have available. There are tiny quilting machines available on the market, but there are also huge ones that occupy a lot of space. Measure the available area and take the measurements with you when looking for the perfect machine.
- Think about the projects you are looking to carry out. Are they big or small? Depending on their size, you will have to choose the size of the working area. There are models that come with a fixed working area or adjustable working area that are preferred by most quilters.
- Do not forget about the most significant features. You should choose a quilting machine that includes a light bulb or a LED that will ensure your visibility in dark spaces or during the evenings. Also, think about whether it is important for you to buy a sewing machine that includes a foot pedal or not. Speed, needle position and the number of patterns available are also factors that influence most quilters’ decision.
Therefore, do not rush into the decision of buying a sewing machine for quilting, especially if you are new to this field. Remember that this device will be your best friend for a long time and will be able to help you get a job, advance in your career and even gain more money. Also, setting a budget is extremely important. Until you know exactly what fits your needs, you should not invest a lot in a sewing machine.
Basic devices are just as good as complicated ones, but they have fewer features. You will be perfectly able to do your job with a sewing machine that is rather inexpensive. This way, you will be able to find an advanced machine that includes all the add-ons you need when you have enhanced your skills and knowledge.